Where reading is a way of life

Monday, December 23, 2013

Hereafter by Kate Brian


Goodreads
320 pages, YA Suspense
Shadowlands #2
My rating: 4 stars

Synopsis

Rory Miller thought her life was over when a serial killer set his sights on her and forced her into witness protection. But a fresh start on Juniper Landing Island was exactly what she and her family needed. For the first time in years she and her sister hang out at the beach, gossip about boys, and party together. She's also made friends with a local clique--including a magnetic and mysterious boy named Tristan. 
But Rory's world is about to change again. Picturesque Juniper Landing isn't what it seems. The truth about the swirling fog that rolls in each morning, the bridge that leads to nowhere, and those beautiful locals who seem to watch Rory's every move is more terrifying than being hunted by Steven Nell. And all Rory ever wanted was the truth. Even if it means learning that she can never go home again. From the best-selling author of the Private and Privilege series comes the second novel in a heart-stopping trilogy about a girl who must pick up the pieces after the only life she's ever known ends.


My 2 cents

Hereafter is the sequel to Shadowlands. I was really looking forward to reading this one, as Shadowlands had such a surprising ending that totally shocked me, and I had to know what happened next!

***NOTE--This will have spoilers from Shadowlands, the first book in the series**

So the story starts off with Rory learning more about being a Lifer, and also learning more about her fellow Lifers. At first, things seem wonderful, and she is thrilled to have a purpose. But then she makes her first ushering...and sends a dear friend to the Shadowlands. And she is positive he was supposed to go to the Light.

Something is wrong, but no one will listen, least of all Tristan. Rory must figure out what's going on and who's responsible, all while trying to keep herself out of suspicion, and make sure her own family is not sent to the Shadowlands.

So this one didn't have me as confused as the last one, mainly because I know how somewhat of a clue what was going on. Although this one still had plenty of suspense, and I really couldn't guess the ending. I did guess pretty close, though! 

My biggest complaint was really the character development. I was hoping for more with Rory and her family, but dear old Dad and Darcy were absent for most of the story. We did get to know Joaquin and Tristan a little bit more, which seemed important. 

But overall, it was another good story, and I read almost all of it in one sitting. I love stories that hook me in and keep me guessing, and Hereafter did that. One warning, this one does have another cliff hanger ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!